Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Palindrome!









When I was a kid, we used live in Chennai, then called Madras. My uncle was living in the Airport quarters. We used to visit them once in a while. Whenever, we enquire about our uncle, my cousin would say that he is in"Aerodrome". I was too young and of course too naive.. Aerodrome word itself would be sounding a bit strange and exotic to me those days.

My uncle, if he is around, would make us write a paragraph or two from Editorials of 'The Hindu', before inviting us to have lunch or dinner! I being the youngest of the lot, would be given one paragraph and my brothers would be asked to write 2 and three paragraphs respectively.

We stopped going to his house for fear of this uncalled for impositions! But there was an upside to it as well. We became very anxious to develop English speaking ability like our cousin and our eldest brother, who were privileged to attend English medium schools from class one!

I vividly remember my uncle telling me some Palindromes, such as RADAR used in Aerodromes and words in our lingo such as "vikatakavi"(விகடகவி), which can be read either way to have the same sound!

Yes; a word that would mirror the same if you read from either way,is called, Aerodrome.. oh.. no.. it is Palindrome! Well I am fixate with the word Aerodrome, which has found little usage nowadays. To rev it up, Delhi terminal 3 may be renamed as IGI Aerodrome!

My ex-boss who is a very good friend, philosopher and guide, used to say one Phrase in palindrome which could possibly be the oldest one, as told by Adam to Eve, "MADAM I'M ADAM!"

I think this act of Adam had a salutory effect on all women, so much so that all our WOMEN UNDERSTAND MEN; FEW MEN UNDERSTAND WOMEN !


Here is a popular poem,written by James A. Lindon, in which every line makes a Palindrome:-

King, are you glad you are king?1
Fall leaves after leaves fall.2
Says Mom, "What do you do?" – You do what Mom says.3
You know, I did little for you, for little did I know you.4
First Ladies rule the State, and state the rule: "ladies first."5
Please me by standing by me please.6
Blessed are they that believe they are blessed.7
Escher, drawing hands, drew hands drawing Escher.8
You can cage a swallow, can't you, but you can't swallow a cage, can you?9
Did I say you never say "never say never"? You say I did.10



I have started having an EYE on this word. Whenver I spot a Palindrome, my EYE would POP up!

Most of the companies and great personalities having names in palindromes are found to be extremely popular and successful.

Here are a few names, like, AXA,OXO,OMO, AVIVA, ICICI,ROTAVATOR, M&M, HANNAH and SUBUS!

Thinking of Palindrome, Emirates Towers in UAE appears to be a standing example of a structural palindrome, that you would rarely find anywhere in the world!

And Now, a question to the readers: Name a very popular language that is made of a Palindrome!

5 comments:

R. Ramesh said...

sir this post is so good my colleague mel wanted a print...heyyy i got that answer: malayalam...not bad, brainy chap..right?

Amrit said...

Awesome

Rama Ananth said...

It is nice to hear the term Aerodrome once again after a long time.
And I remember even I used to have an uncle who used to bug me with some maths problem, which of course I could never solve being very weak in Maths.

Latha Nair said...

WOW!! (thats another palindrome!)
Enjoyed this post-
Guess we have all gone through
the stage of checking out
every word mentally in the
hope of discovering a palindrome :)
This post took me back in time

arvind said...

just roaming around - without finding any palindrome..

civic, radar, level, rotator, rotor, kayak, reviver, racecar, and redder..

"Yo banana boy"
"Rise to vote sir"
"A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama"
"Dammit, I'm mad!"
"Rats live on no evil star"

58285
ABBA, SOS, TNT


was / saw
gateman / nametag
deliver / reviled
straw / warts
star / rats
lived / devil
live / evil
diaper / repaid
smart / trams
spit / tips

"காக்கா"

the list is running down like a water falls - on search.. just learned a thing.. thanks SUBUS!

World will listen to the counsellors-astute!