Monday, July 12, 2010

Mumbai and Dubai!






















I came to Mumbai in the year 1994. One evening I went to a restaurant at Church gate, Mumbai. I spotted a known face having snacks at another corner. Quickly we could recognise each other. "Hi! Kannan when did you come from the US?" Kannan is a relative, who went to US several years ago. That was a surprise meeting which made our families come closer.


On a busy evening, whilst crossing the Foot over Bridge, in one of the suburban stations, I met an old acquaintance. Ignoring the fast moving human wave, I called out his name. The quick conversation facilitated our follow up phone calls and meetings.

Recently, I received an SMS that Mr PM has taken up a job in UAE, with a local contact number. I was surprised and delighted! Mr. PM was my colleague on my first posting way back in 1988, at a small town in India. More than just working together, we were living in the same compound in the official quarters. I was the only bachelor in the staff quarters and enjoyed the courtesies and hospitality of other two families living there.

I called up and invited him to come over to my place, which he, readily obliged. We had a great time recounting the entire events happend in our lives since 1990.

It is amazing to note that both Mumbai and Dubai has a striking similarity of facilitating rare encounters of old friends!

Don't you think there should be more than just the alphabets that are common to both Mumbai and Dubai!

5 comments:

arvind said...

felt -
u write this
after a
humor club meeting..

hang over?

friendship?
even - just a "hi"

ada ponga sir..

Latha Nair said...

I guess we start valuing our friends
more when we move away from them. As we
say in Malayalam "muttathe mullaikku
manamilla". In other words, distance
makes the heart grow fonder. So,
Dubai or Mumbai-the results are similar.

arvind said...

subbu sir,
thanks for visiting my blog..

every time u use to give new infomation and always surprising everybody..

ok..
the name is "kol katta" (cut yesterday)said wrongly by the farmer who thought that he was asked abt the near by plants - but in reality Job Charnok asked "what the name of the village?"
(story told by my wife!)

R. Ramesh said...

hahah i enjoyed arvind comment..ada ponga sirr....lol

Rama Ananth said...

Meeting friends after a long time really is exciting : we are so eager to know about what is happening, and recollecting the time spent together years ago and it can go on and on....
At such times one can easily forget where we are, Mumbai or Dubai it is all the same.

World will listen to the counsellors-astute!