Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fitness for survival






















Of late, I have stopped doing exercise. I could realise this only when I made a comment during a conversation with a new acquaintance. Yes, as usual, I had been to the Humor club meet last Friday. I met a gentleman, who came back to his seat, after sharing some interesting incidents and personal experiences with the audience.

I praised him on his talk and got myself introduced. During the conversation, I observed that life in UAE is quite unique as people are habituated to controlled environment, ....and, one has to do regular excercise....blah..blah.., otherwise, it would be difficult to remain in shape!

When I learnt that he worked for a fitness company, I realised my genius in explaining about the importance of fitness to an expert in the field!

I started going to Gym after the first visit of my family in UAE. The idea dawned on my mind when my daughter taunted me about my sign of prosperity. Recently, when my family was here for 40 days, I skipped my Gym sessions, on the pretext of giving company to them.

The gap of over one month had its effect on me. Again my daughter, before leaving for Mumbai, gave a nice punch on my paunch, to dig at my fickle minded approach to fitness.

This week I mustered up my wits and renewed my Gym membership.

On my first day of resuming the session, the instructor was happy to receive me and guide me, saying that I should slowly get back to the original program, without being impatient. He also explained about the new value added program of a free session for members on Self-defence techniques!

I started fantasizing that I would not only be fit, but would really become fighting fit! At this moment, he distracted me and asked, 'did you do the abs exercise?', giving an impish look at my rich looking 'breadbasket'!

Even when I answered him with a firm, 'I did do the abs exercise', I secretly vowed that one day, I would achieve a 'washboard' like abs!

Well, in UAE, even on controlled diet, one can put on weight. This is mainly due to lack of physical activity and sweating. The only way to ensure regular physical activity, other than for those blue colored work force, is to join a fitness club.
And mind you, I am not owning a FITNESS CLUB myself!

Yes; who doesn't want to be fit, if not FIGHTING FIT?

Darwin theory says, 'Survival of the fittest'. I would say that the relevance of the theory is in maintaining the fitness for survival!

7 comments:

SUFFIX said...

I thought of joining a gym many times, recently firmed up my walking session and it is regularized now. Fitness for survival:)

Rama Ananth said...

So you are on your way to health is wealth : good for you!

Latha Nair said...

The weight war is like Snakes and Ladders for most of us I guess.
May be you can post your 'before' and 'after' photographs ;)

arvind said...

at forty don't do..
the body settles at that ages..
let it settle..
just eat, rest, enjoy..

after 45 start working on ur body..
if it escapes - pressure, sugar etc after 45 - its a luck!

R. Ramesh said...

subu sir
Your words of consolation on loss of my brother helped me strengthen myself. I really appreciate it and pray for peace and good health to you and yr near ones. Really lucky to have come across you.

Sanand said...

I agree with u that its really important to be fit.

I feel that the one difficult thing about gymming is that if you stop it or take a break, it somehow affects self-esteem and the affirmations you probably undertook when you began the process. I'd still go with walking on a regular basis so that one can enjoy the stillness, engage with the mind with more awareness and be able to sync with natural surroundings which itself is so relaxing for the mind.

subu said...

Thank you all for your feed back. There was a free demonstration by a Karate master about some simple self defence techniques(for GYM members).

There, I met a family(father-son and daughter trio) all having achieved black belts! The master says that any age is not late to learn Karate! Can you believe?

Any formal learning program is beneficial as there is an established regular system; self learning(like walking) is for more disciplined lot..

World will listen to the counsellors-astute!