Saturday, February 6, 2010

Away from home and lonely?


Times of India Sunday edition carried a feature about various celebs and leaders who lead a lonely life at the top. It is said that people who succeed in life or in their career, often find no real friends when they reach a level, when they have to lead a lonely life all by themselves.
I have become one of those thousands of lonely leaders who have left their country to work here in the Gulf, since February,2008.
Like all other expat singles, I have learned to live with this loneliness by thinking about family and friends in the home country.
To beat the boredom of loneliness, I have developed this habit of watching TV, listening to music or singing aloud songs most of the time and looking forward to the company of one or two friends I have managed to acquire here!
Loneliness has its advantages too. When left alone, you tend to focus more on your goals and achieve them. For e.g., if you are a marketing person, you visit a client alone ahead of others so that you get a client! If you are a lone applicant, you get the job! And, in lighter vein, if you are alone you get a proposal!
I have started a blog only after coming to UAE. I have developed interest in buying paintings, potted plants. I have, now, a little aquarium for company!
After a gap of 25 years, I revived my chess game, that I used to play during my high school and college days, took part and won championship in a tournament, thanks to this loneliness!
So all of you expats, who are alone, don’t feel lonely and depressed... you have many opportunities knocking at your doors!

P.Subramanian-Sharjah

Note: This piece appeared in "Gulf Today" 6th february,2010,issue in pg 4 with the title"Beat The Boardom"

1 comment:

rajee said...

hi..u r doing gr8 work..simply awesome..keep on bloging we shall njoy

World will listen to the counsellors-astute!