Friday, July 13, 2012

Man who knew too much!









My spectacle had broken during my recent visit to Chennai.  Since this happened at the fag end of my holiday, I did not have the time to repair it or buy a new one.   After returning I was planning to buy a new frame and fix the spectacles.

I visited an opticals shop near Rolla.  The shop keeper was alone with no other customers in the shop.  I showed him my spectacles in its broken condition.  One side arm had broken from the corner of the spectacle with the metallic edge still attached to the glass corner.  The shop keeper took the spectacle, examined it and removed the metal piece from the corner and asked me "why don't you repair it instead of buying a new frame?"

" I can solder it for 40dh if you are ok with it or else, you may go for a new frame which will cost you heavily".

 I thought for a moment, when he went on to say that if you buy a new frame I will get only 20 dh margin but you will spend a lot of money;  whereas I can nicely solder it  and you can avoid spending too much money..."

Although not convinced fully by his idea that it can be soldered, I said "yes" to him.  He told me to come next day evening, when he will keep it ready for collection.

I asked his name and noted on the visiting card that he gave me and before leaving and in return I told him my name.  He immediately observed, "oh Subramaniam? the name does not have good vibrations!"  Although a bit taken aback by this observation, I asked him,"do you know astrology... can you tell about some body from his name"?

To this he said in Hindi,"Everything I can foresee"..  I left the place by muttering ".. oh you must be great"

When I called him next day evening, he said that the technician has not yet finished the job and that I can collect the same from the shop the day after at 10 am.

I called up the shop next day when his assistant took the phone.  He told me that the technician has returned the spectacle saying that it cannot be soldered, and that I can collect it from the shop in 'as is' condition!

When I went to collect the spectacle in the evening the same person was there who handed out the spectacle to me quietly.

Collecting the same, I gave a passing remark to him saying that no one can foresee every thing!

2 comments:

kalyan said...

nice

subu said...

Thank you, Kalyan for visiting and appreciating..

World will listen to the counsellors-astute!