Friday, February 4, 2011

எ BUCKET FOR contentment






A friend met me recently and started telling me a story. In a village people would be seen carrying bucket in hand in large numbers. Every day,they walk 4 miles to the 'big lake' to bring a bucket full of water to their homes. During their journey back home, the bucket full of water will spill along the way and, by the time they reach home, they will hardly have any water left in the bucket.

Fed up with this perennial problem, the entire village assembled at a place to discuss the issue. They decided that they will create a channel from the lake to their village and also dig a community well at their village were the water can be collected. One year of hard work was agreed as contribution for each family member. After one year passed, the villagers became the talking point for the rest of the country men.

The friend went on to say that our routine, 9-5 job is like carrying a bucket, which is our usual rut. At the end of the month you are left with hardly any residual amount which you can count on for support during an emergency. His story and the comparison really convinced me about the futility of our 9-5 jobs. What is the alternative? I asked him.

Here he gave an option to enroll myself into a pyramid scheme, narrating many more success stories. Although I agreed that there will be good possibility of an early mover to greatly benefit from the scheme, my own conscience somehow did not favour the idea, as it kept me telling that the weaker links in the chain would be affected.

I then took a vow that whatever be the situation, I shall never enroll into a pyramid scheme till 'I kick the bucket'!

I am quite happy with the little 'bucket' that I have, despite the inadequacy or limitation it may have. I convince myself by reassuring that buckets are enough to save lives... like the fire bucket you see in Malls, public places or in Cinemas!

A bucket somehow reminds me of the limit of contentment, basic necessities and thrifty life stye!

2 comments:

Shari said...

Its good that you are satisfied with the small bucket you are having. At the end of the satisfaction is all that matters.

sm said...

at some point one must stop his greed.
nice post

World will listen to the counsellors-astute!